Sunday, May 28, 2006

a day in the life....




















While we patiently await Lauren's descent from Wedding World, I thought I would entertain our faithful readers with my present reality: summer job. Some of you may know that I am taking care of the elderly through a home care company called Ray of Sunshine. Well, for the past three days I have had the pleasure of spending my days with a little 81 year old gem named Mrs. White.

We begin the eventful days by catching up on old times, and literally I mean old times. Over the course of three days I have heard Mrs. White recount roughly 70 of her 81 years. I have heard the same story many times and could reinact them for you if you are so inclined. After the stories, we sit. Alot. We watch CNN--all day. Or we flip to the tried and true TCM (Turner Classic Movies for you young 'uns.) During some of the more boring parts of the lovely black and whites, or during her mid-afternoon nap, I busy myself by dusting, vacuuming, or cleaning bathrooms! (side note: after two years at Eagle Pass these activities are like entering a new world--free of dust, hair, and mold). After the Cinderella phase, its on to dinner time. We eat at 5:15. In the past three days I have become quite the chef: breading and frying fish, making hash brown and sweet potatoes. But by far the most interesting encounter I have had is with the substance known as spam. Yes, that's right--I squeezed the meat-like product from its can and sliced it up. I then fried it in a skillet, where I kid you not, after simmering for awhile--it flipped itself over. I saw it with my own eyes. Like one, big vienna sausage the little sucker just up and decided he was done on that side. Needless to say, I will never be eating that.

So to my readers, that is a day in my life. I miss you all dearly.
To my beloved Mrs. White, I have learned much and hope to be as spry as you when I am 81 years young.

sv

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

My momma put before me
Some SPAM and a fork
I looked at her and smelled it
And I said 'I have to hork'
But now I need some SPAM
There's just something about that processed ham
Oh, it give me engery
So come have some SPAM with me
We'll be a big SPAMily

Anonymous said...

hork?!?

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your update Ms. Vierling. I enjoyed it so much. I laughed out loud and tears were thinking about coming to my eyes when I read your account on the SPAM flipping itself.

MISSING YOU...ALL OF YOU

Anonymous said...

Bunkmate, I do hope that you are as spry as mrs. white when you are 81. I am sure you will be spryER!! (I don't even know what spry means!)

Anonymous said...

spry P Pronunciation Key (spr)
adj. spri·er, (sprr) or spry·er spri·est (sprst) or spry·est
Lively, active, and brisk; vigorous.

Anonymous said...

thank you oh wise one...

BHG & Co. said...

I love that generation. I have a number of members in my congregation who are 80+. One dear couple just celebrated their 61st wedding anniversary. They're awesome!

One of our ladies, a widow, is so very active it's insane. She mows her field, comes to pick up pine needles I rake up so she can use them in her flower beds (she won't let me help!), and on Wednesday nights (since she lives right behind the church), she drives her riding lawn-mower to church! No lie, I can hear her pass by my office and I know it's time to head down to the fellowship hall!

Knowing them is an amazing blessing, and I hope I am half as respected and a fraction of the blessing that many of our older people are to me.

-Bill G.

D.O. said...

Sarah, as you know, I'm a big fan of your writing. Seriously, if you ever write a book, I'll buy it in a second (and if you want, I can write the intro). I can't wait to see y'all in a couple weeks! lata!

Anonymous said...

hi Sarah Vierling!!! :) this is Leslie Roddy, and it can be said, quite accurately in fact, that I do miss you in very insane amounts. I'll be good to see you (and all the precious others)this weekend.
but
I mainly wrote to tell you that I play with old people all day too, and that the vienna sausage part of your day is very gross. way to endure, my friend. :)
I think of Italy and I think of you and smile about both even though just a year ago I got us kicked out of Rome. oh brother.