Saturday, October 28, 2006

Hats off to new scenery




I decided to go the extra mile and give you all an update from this chick. I know it's been awhile. My proximity to the internet is hardly condusive to regular email checks and blog updates (10 minute drive with a required female buddy...everybody loves Pine Cove rules and the Mr. T!!--media office).
While I know the girls are familiar with my current setting, I am less sure about the rest of our faithful readers. For you...I will indulge. The pictures above are of my classmates. I am living in Tyler, TX on the Pine Cove Ranch property. I'm a student in a discipleship/leadership in ministry training program called the Forge (
http://www.pinecove.com/leadership-training/index.php). I love it....mostly. There are tough things, but mostly really great things. I spend about 15 hours in class a week. These classes include things like theology, book discussion, leadership theories, etc. It's tight to have study material and books that I enjoy reading (and there's a lot..a total of 13 books to read including the Bible in its entirety and memorizing the book of 1 Peter...PRAY FOR ME!). I must confess, though....2 months in and it's getting hard to not fall back into college habits of just "doing assignments to get them done." Also, I live in a house with 7 girls, and 7 guys live next store. My community is pretty consistent...all day almost every day with these 13 new friends. It's good...challenging...but good. A little different than living with my 6 chicks.
I feel like this post-graduation season of life is uncharted waters. Most people I talk to feel like they're trying not to live life as a count down, while deciding what's next. I agree, but I feel absolutely confident that the Lord will use this short 8-month season for my growth and his glory.
Well, I must return to the world of camp and all that it entails.
~js

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

jess! yea so fun to see your face! i feel you on the count down struggle. thanks for filling us in, i sometimes catch myself daydreaming about teal couches and coming downstairs to see you...

D.O. said...

oh man! I was looking at some of my older posts from months ago and I realized one thing that I miss so much now a days: you posting comments!

That obviously doesn't go without my missing you too. I'm glad you're holding it down at PC, and sorry I didn't end up forging with you...

Brooke said...

jess!!! i got your message tonight. i love mr. hawkins! :) i'm glad you get to hear from him.... one smart guy... esp. on leadership stuff. laura (his daughter and i) were best friends when we were little. ask if he remembers us in the 4 Musketeers club (it was me, laura, jenni, and our friend katie).... after church we would buy 3 Musketeers candy bars and write a 4 over the three on the wrapper and then eat it! what dorks. fun times though. it was great talking with ya the other day... love you!