Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Vanilla ice cream with a scoop of perspective




This is Mrs. Virginia. She has been my friend this summer.
On Sunday, her assisted living facility hosts an ice cream social.
I attended.
Vanilla with caramel and sprinkles.
I think assisted living is the way to go. You don't lift a finger in that place.
She's 85 and I really like her alot.

Here's the thing about being 85, you still feel young, yet your body totally disagrees. Mrs. Virginia is still trying to wrap her mind around that. What a strange place in life. At church we are studying Ecclesiastes. Besides being hard to spell, its full of some pretty hard truths. Most of life is like running a treadmill, same thing over and over, with no real purpse. Now, don't freak out on me. I understand that Jesus gives us purpose. Praise the Lord! Life is not worth living without Him, and Solomon very seriously tries to get that point across, but he first shows how everything else in life is totally worthless, "all is vanity."

This whole message has been weighing on my brain lately and along with support raising, preparing to live in another country, and saying goodbye to sweet, sweet friends, its been pretty heavy.

I want my life to matter. I want what Jesus has done in my life to effect others. I want to live like I don't belong here.

There is an ongoing battle in my brain between wanting comfort and security and routine and the unknown, the unpredictable, and adventure. Will these two sides of my brain ever reconcile? Not any time soon, it seems.

Hanging out with Mrs. Virginia makes me want to live life to the fullest, so that when I am 85 I can look back and see how the Lord has worked in my life. And Matt Chandler makes me want to run far, far away from living a rut-filled life.

"For who can eat and who can have enjoyment without Him?" (Ecc. 2:25)
Lasting enjoyment, the kind that really matters, only comes from Jesus. I have often wondered how people get through the hard times in life without this knowledge. To know that "all things work together for the good of those who love Him," where would I be without that promise?

So, Solomon- thanks for being so stinkin wise. Thanks, Jesus, for giving me purpose and joy. And thanks, Mrs. Virginia for being 85 and still asking, "what can I do?"

sv

8 comments:

D.O. said...

I don't care how girly of a magizine you write a column for, I'll subscribe and read it (as long as there is no nudity).

Brooke said...

good word, sarah. i love meeting mrs. virginia too! she looks precious (as do you).

Anonymous said...

oh bunkmate (will i ever stop calling you that? i think not), you never cease to amaze me. I love you.

Anonymous said...

well said, ms. vierling.
I concur.

Hendrick Family said...

I LOVED that! Great writing, Sarah. That's some good stuff.

I was stuck in Eccelesiewhatever for almost a YEAR. I could not stop reading it. It changed me forever.

Heather

Anonymous said...

Good word Sarah!
I think you did a great job describing how you feel and what you are learning! You are a master writer!

As you know, I have just recently learned that I can comment so I am commenting and it is great fun!

Anonymous said...

good job La!!
welcome to our world!

Anonymous said...

shameless plug: everyone notice the link I put on here for my Italy blog!


thank you and have a nice day.